Saturday, March 1, 2008

See??? Frederick WAS ready for Killer Joe!!!

"To win without risk is to triumph without glory."
-- Pierre Corneille

I am proud to report that Killer Joe has been a success for us in numerous ways! MET took a risk in placing this show in our season – there’s no doubt about it. I had numerous people ask why we chose it and if I actually thought Frederick was ready for this play.

I think there is a tendency to underestimate our city – I have certainly been guilty of doing so at times. However, I have really grown to appreciate what Frederick has to offer, and suspected that those who were skeptical would be surprised at the reception that this controversial play received.

As far as our audience goes, I believe that we attracted more first-time patrons with this play than any other. This was due in large part to the phenomenal press that the show received. I must throw out a huge “Thank you!” to Sarah Straw for her efforts on our behalf and also to The Gazette and The Frederick News Post for their pre-coverage and positive reviews. But a great deal of credit also goes to our patrons. I have had numerous people tell me that they have heard fabulous things about our show from those who have seen it. Word of mouth continues to be our best source of advertising, and we are truly grateful to our patrons who are willing to spread the word. We couldn’t do it without you!

This show was a very ensemble oriented, and it not only highlighted the talents of our ensemble successfully, but, really proved to us that having an ensemble structure is the only way to work! The amount of trust we had for each other was evident from the first rehearsal and, and made the process go seamlessly.

The traditional American theatre model is to bring actors, director and designers together from disparate places to create a piece of theatre. They may or may not have ever met, but at the end of a short rehearsal process we are supposed to believe the relationships we see before us. It’s hard work! Suppose how much easier that would be when the same group of people have trained and worked together for some time. Relationships are already formed, and so diving deeper into the text can happen immediately because the preliminary work is already out of the way. I digress and don’t mean to sermonize – but I’m proud to belong to an ensemble such as the one we have created!

So thanks to our audience and thanks to the ensemble for creating exciting and passion-filled theatre together!

2 comments:

denny said...

Well put Gene'. I'd like to add a thanks to you as well. Your thoughts, energies, and insights challenged us as a cast and really helped bring this play to the place it is. I really appreciate the work and interaction. Thank you so much for helping create the best theater experience i have yet to date!

And I totally forgive you for the fact that during rehearsals, every time Sarah would call "places" for act II...I dropped trow...stood in the wings...let the cold theater air breeze my...well, ya know...cold sensitive areas...and somehow everytime...you managed to have to put us on hold cuz you couldn't find your pencil or your soda :)-- remember when i tripped?!?!? wow! that was scary fun ;)-

thank you again-
denny

BeliefSuspended said...

My fiance and I saw Killer Joe tonight, and I just want to say it really was "killer". Congratulations to all involved for their gutsy performances, and to your excellent directorship. I've read the accounts of "should we / shouldn't we" and I'm really glad you decided to go ahead with this play. Frederick was indeed ready. All the actors were brilliant but I found Amy Eastons' portrayal of Dottie was especially compelling. Keep up the good work. I look forward to Inishmaan.