Monday, April 28, 2008

Playwright Julie Heifetz

From "A Sparrow's Song" playwright, Julie Heifetz:

As a passionate theater-goer, playwright and actor, you can imagine my joy in discovering that my new home of Frederick, Md. had its own professional theater. That said, I am enough of a theater snob that I was a bit wary of the quality of the productions I might find at the Maryland Ensemble Theatre. I should not have wasted one creative moment worrying.

Over the year and a half I've lived in Frederick, I have attended almost every production and have been thrilled to discover that the choices of scripts, the talent of company members was enough to make me very, very happy. My partner Jack and I have become volunteers, and in addition, have brought many of our weekend visitors from Philadelphia, our previous home, to see the show that has been playing. A journalist who covers theater in Philly, and a writer for opera news, and other sophisticated culture buffs, have been amazed, as I was, that our relatively small town has such a cultural opportunity as we find with the MET.

Because of the quality of this company, I am excited to have "A Sparrow's Song," a play that I have written, about to be produced by the MET. It's such fun being surrounded by professionals who want to reach for new and different experiences, and in doing so, provide much that is new to the community.

A thanks to everyone involved in the performance.
- Julie Heifetz, author of A Sparrow's Song

No comments: