Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Words from Joe

Photographer Joe Williams helped document MET's production of A Doll's House. He attended rehearsals, from the very first read thru all the way through the final dress.

There are hundreds of moments in “A Doll's House,” instants of emotion and expression that, linked together, tell the story nearly as much as the words themselves. I have come to know this, because I have watched the play as it was created, from the first time it was read, through it's revisions (and revisions), rehearsals, direction, construction, and finally, performance. I have tried to capture those moments in the photographs I've taken over the past weeks as the author, director, designers, and cast created them. I know there are hundreds of moments; I have hundreds of photographs to prove it.

Brian Irons as Torvald. © 2008 Joe Williams

I started taking photos of MET productions when my wife, Kayte, appeared in “A Threepenny Opera.” I quickly found that theatre lighting is difficult, that many moments I try to capture are ruined by motion during an exposure that is too long, or the shadow on one side of an actor's face is matched by the bright light on their other cheek. Fortunately, I don't pay for film with a digital camera, so I can take some chances and try to capture some of those fleeting instances. It takes a lot of time to sort through all the files. It can be discouraging to see how many times I missed a moment, through a fault in composition, exposure, or movement, but there are also dozens of keepers that make me forget the frustration. Scroll down through the blog, and you'll see some of the results.

The cast and crew, along with Tad and Vibeke, welcomed me and allowed me to observe and document their work as they gave shape to Ibsen's words. By the time the play opened, I had heard some scenes 7 or 8 times, but it was never stale or repetitive. There was always either the drama of the play itself, or the drama (and occasional comedy) of the evolving production. One night soon, I look forward to being an ordinary member of the audience. That night, I'm going to leave the camera at home.

No comments: